Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2015

#MathieuStrong

This week is the first week of 2015 canoe training at home.  Last week, we were all recovering from Florida, so the training was pretty light, but over the weekend we got back out there for a 2 1/2 hour paddle on Saturday, and another 1 1/2 hours on Sunday.  Not the longest training for us, but it also isn't very nice out yet. We started our first interval training (well 2nd if you count the bit we did in Florida)  of the year yesterday, and I can definitely tell I haven't tried to move that fast in quite a while.  Hopefully we will be at somewhat prepared for the first race of our season this weekend.  

Besides canoeing, Mike and I decided to enjoy the weekend at home by going rock climbing at a nearby gym on Friday, and then run the first 5km of the year on Saturday.  The rock climbing was fun, but we tire out pretty quick, and were sore going into the run.  I didn't have any expectations going into the race , and once we got started I could see Mike was much further ahead of me than usual.  When I got to the finish line, I was shocked to see that I beat my time from last year by 20 seconds, and that Mike had set a new personal record by 45 seconds!  No wonder he was pulling away so fast.  Mom, Dad, and friend Weston also went to the race with us, and everyone had a good time.  

(Paddling Group on Sunday)

About a month ago I wrote about a fellow paddler, Mathieu, who suffered a terrible logging accident.  Tonight is a benefit dinner to help him transition his house to suit his new life.  Paddlers from all over are encouraging Mathieu with the #MathieuStrong logo.  So far, #MathieuStrong has been out skiing, on multiple rivers, at restaurants, St. Patrick's Day parties, and at different businesses.  We hope to continue to let Mathieu know we are thinking of him, and inspire him during his recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment