Pages

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

2018 Wander List

As far back as I can remember, I have been road tripping to one place or another.  Canoe races, ski races, or the annual Triebold summer vacation were just part of what we did as a family.  I still haven't hit all 50 states, (I'm getting close!) and even if I had there is no end to the list of trips I want to take.  It's not just seeing new things, but who I get to see them with. Once the calendar starts anew, I start planning my next adventures.... probably because I have some shiny new vacation days burning a hole in my pocket.  This year I have some old favorites as well as a few new places making a spot on my list.

Europe

Of course I pick a place with 50 unique countries, and am completely vague about my destination, ha!  In all seriousness, I think I will make my first trek to continental Europe in 2018, I'm just not quite sure what it will look like yet.

Image result for switzerland
(Image from Encyclopedia Britannica)

 Probably my best bet is for my wonderful friend Cat's Swiss wedding reception (she is getting married state-side in March).  Cat's mother is born and raised in Switzerland, and Cat has dual citizenship.  When we met as ski friends in 2002, Cat was spending large parts of her year with family in Switzerland.  I have yet to make the trip to meet the people, and see the things I have heard so much about (I have a distinct vision of what the family home in the mountains looks like).  I am really hoping for this trip, I just have to make the timing work.

Image result for italy
(Image from Travel & Leisure)

If I can't swing a visit for Cat's reception, I will probably do a yoga retreat in Italy.  It would be a week in my "off season" with my favorite YouTube yoga instructor, with whom I have done a workshop already.  I haven't done a trip where I just relax in a long time, and a few hours of yoga a day with an open schedule to explore the surrounding area sounds like a great way to test out a more laid back trip.

Zion


Image result for zion national park
(Image from nationalparks.org)

Each fall when Mike and I take our non-racing trip, I vote for the Utah National Parks tour- 5 parks that make a nice little drive-able circle, with plenty of sites in between.  I choose Zion as my yearned for stop in the tour- probably due to pinterest photos and travel blogs- but any of the parks will do.   We can maybe even squeeze in the Grand Canyon while we are at it.  Four years of being voted down (I can't complain too much- he chose Grand Teton/Yellowstone, Pictured Rocks, Hawaii, West Virginia, and Washington), and I think I will finally get my trip.  However, it is coming with a major caveat and turning into a "race"- the Grand Circle Trailfest to be exact.  I am not sure how I feel about running through three parks in three days and putting on 44 miles, but the stories will be good, and hopefully we can spend a few days before or after doing some additional exploring.

Nashville
Image result for nashville
(Image from Visit Music City)

The Girls Weekend 2017 was definitely a highlight, and we are hoping to make another trip in 2018.  Nashville was the second choice, so it moves to the top of the list.  The warmer weather, food, music, and nearby mountains have plenty of activities to entertain our group.  No plans are in place yet, but I am putting it out there- Hailey, Samantha, and Cat better be ready!


An Island
Image result for boundary waters island
(Image from www.bwca.com)

Another vague location- I want to spend some time on an island.  Maybe Catalina, maybe Mackinac, Grand, or even the Apostle Islands.  It could be camping out on an island in the middle of the Boundary Waters, or the Adirondacks.  I think I want to paddle to get there, or at least paddle while I'm there (I'm looking at you, Isle Royale), but some island life would be a good thing.  It appears I am leaning towards a cooler climate, which is odd to most, but I prefer rocky beaches and cool water to sand and sun.  I have a feeling that Mike might disagree with me on this one, so when I post pictures from Jamaica you will know who runs the show!

Canoe Camping


Image may contain: one or more people, tree, sky, outdoor, water and nature

Canoe Camping isn't a place, but sitting around the camp fire cooking pork burgers and dump cake is the place I want to be.  Each fall as kids, my sister and I would be coerced into camping out of the canoe with the whole family- parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, a few extra friends. while we froze in our kid sleeping bags, paddled about 10 strokes in 2 hours, and lived for snack breaks, I can't help but miss these annual trips.  Mom and Dad always fit them in, and two years ago I did do one with Samantha and Alex, but we didn't get to one in the fall.  I will make sure to fix that this year.

As much as I love to travel, dream, and post pictures, I equally enjoy hearing about everyone else's adventures.  Leave some comments below with places/adventures that are on your list for 2018.

2 comments:

  1. I really want to canoe on the Boundary Waters. Since I turn 64 in March, I am going to try to make that happen this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been there either! It's definitely on my list... I will probably hit an island closer to home this year, but a girl can dream.

      Delete